MIAMI CANDIDATE CARLOS GIMENEZ: BIO, VOTES, DONORS (Miami-Dade Mayoral Election – May 24, 2011)
Posted by FactReal on April 19, 2011
|See latest Gimenez’s bio and record here.
Among the latest posts on mayoral candidate Carlos Gimenez’s record are:
The post below was originally published on April 19, 2011. The last update was on May 17, 2011.
A quick view of this candidate’s experience, position on issues, legislations, votes, campaign finance, etc.
|● Was Miami-Dade County commissioner for District 7 from November 2, 2004 through April 12, 2011 when he resigned to run for county mayor.
● Was City of Miami manager from May 2000 to January 2003.
● Spent 25 years with City of Miami Dept. of Fire-Rescue: Started as firefighter at the age of 20. Was Miami’s fire chief the last nine years at the dept. (1991 – 2000)
● Completed his Bachelor’s Degree in public administration in 1999 at Barry University – Miami.
NEW: ● Endorsed by union
● Was assigned vice-chair of the Commissioners’ Regional Transportation Committee, which oversees the county’s transportation system — the same transportation system that was going to be modernized by the 2002 half-cent sales tax. Yes, the infamous half-penny sales tax that they were going to use to supposedly build new miles of bus service and 90-miles of new Metrorail extensions like the elusive East-West and North Corridors. (The East-West Corridor, the Metrorail extension that would run from the Miami International Airport to the FIU campus on 8 SW Street; and the North Corridor that would run north up to the Broward County line.) As of October 2010, they had collected almost $1.4 billion in transit surtax, but most was spent on bloated salaries, excessive staff and maintenance of existing operations. The county and the cities have misspent these tax dollars.
Raise Commissioners’ Salaries
More Power to the Commissioners
Red-Light Cameras at Intersections
– Voted against raising property taxes as proposed by then-mayor Carlos Alvarez, 9/23/2010
– Voted for Michelle’s Obama intrusive campaign with the misleading title “Communities Putting Prevention to Work” to supposedly combat obesity (that is, to tell us what to eat, drink, buy…), 10/5/2010 (Votes)
This sound very altruistic, but don’t be fooled. Politicians are infringing on our private lives and on our parental rights ever so more: School officials ban lunches from home…and confiscate snacks, Boston Mayor bans soda, NY State won’t allow kids to play kickball but gives them condoms, Michelle Obama tells restaurants to cut the butter…and hide the French fries, etc.
Here is the Truth behind Michelle Obama’s Obesity Campaign — it’s a power grab masquerading as a public health crusade.
|NEW: ● Voted for Amnesty for illegals and against SB1070 Arizona law
NEW: ● Voted against offshore oil drilling
Donations to his 2011 campaign for Miami-Dade County Mayor:
● Via Miami-Dade Election Department’s Voter Focus
Info for the May 24th election in Miami-Dade County:
– All Mayoral Candidates: Biography, donors, record, votes…
– Amendments’ Analysis