Carlos Gimenez’s HOMOSEXUAL Record (Miami-Dade Mayoral Candidate)
Posted by FactReal on June 5, 2011
|CARLOS GIMENEZ AND HIS RECORD ADVANCING THE GAY AGENDA
Former Miami-Dade Commissioner and current mayoral candidate Carlos Gimenez has an extensive track record of support for the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender) community.
● Gimenez seen by gays as someone who will advance their agenda
|“Carlos Gimenez is the best candidate to help us achieve our mission.”
Carlos Gimenez “has made commitments to us to promote and defend equality for gay and transgender people in the County.”
“Carlos Gimenez supports:
(Scroll down for sources and details)
|● Gimenez co-sponsored and passed a 2008 ordinance to benefit homosexuals
– Ordinance: Health Insurance and other Benefits to Domestic Partners of County Employees1, 2
– Approved:May 20, 2008
– File Number: 080986. Reference: 08-61
– Critics3 saw this ordinance as a backdoor tactic to allow same-sex marriage in Florida since it granted marital benefits to unmarried sexual partners of county employees – all against state law and at taxpayers’ expense. Opponents also said this ordinance would squander scarce taxpayer dollars while the county was facing budgetary constraints.
● Gimenez advocated against the 2008 Florida Marriage Protection Amendment4 (a.k.a. Amendment 2) to define marriage between one man and one woman
Despite the efforts of Gimenez and other pro-gay politicians, Florida voters approved Amendment 2 in the 2008 election: 61.9% voted in favor while only 38.1% opposed it.
● Gimenez is donor/member of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force Foundation5
● Gimenez received the endorsement from the gay organization, SAVE Dade, on June 2, 20116
|In connection with the Miami Dade Mayoral Election on June 28th, the SAVE Dade Action PAC endorses Commissioner Carlos Gimenez. After a questionnaire and interview process with both candidates, we believe that Carlos Gimenez is the best candidate to help us achieve our mission of equality in Miami-Dade County.
Commissioner Gimenez has a proven track record of support for LGBT equality and cares about protecting all people from discrimination regardless of sexual orientation and gender identity. He answered all of our most important questions favorably and has made commitments to us to promote and defend equality for gay and transgender people in the County.
Carlos Gimenez supports:
Commissioner Gimenez has a close family member who is lesbian and understands the difficulties that people who are LGBT face on a regular basis. Further, he has a record of support for our community. In 2008, he voted in favor of passing the Miami-Dade Domestic Partnership Ordinance – giving unmarried County employees the right to place their registered domestic partners on their health insurance benefits. Also in 2008, Carlos publicly opposed passage of the so-called “Marriage Protection” Amendment, (Amendment 2) where Floridians enshrined marriage discrimination into our state Constitution. In 2009, Commissioner Gimenez was recognized as a SAVE Dade Champions of Equality award recipient, and has earned the endorsement of the SAVE Dade Action PAC.
The race for Miami-Dade Mayor will be difficult and will require the strength of our community to secure a pro-equality candidate. Only 10,000 votes separated Carlos from his opponent in the special election. I don’t need to remind you of what can happen if we do not have an LGBT friendly Mayor of Miami-Dade.
|● Gimenez received SAVE Dade‘s Champions of Equality Award in 20097
“The SAVE Dade Champions of Equality Awards Reception and Silent Auction is an annual event established to honor members of the community who have significantly advanced the cause of equality for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community in Miami-Dade County,” says their Facebook page.8
Do they seek equality or preferential treatment?
● Gimenez was more than happy to attended a gay event organized by SAVE Dade9, 10
|Video title: 2011 Champions of Equality Awards Reception and Silent Auction
Video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymBb55HTNM8
Info for the June 28th election in Miami-Dade County:
– Carlos Gimenez’s Record
– Julio Robaina’s Record
(With links to primary sources)