Carlos Gimenez Oversaw the Failed Transit System (2011 Miami-Dade Mayoral Candidate)
Posted by FactReal on June 27, 2011
|Carlos Gimenez was Leader of Powerful Committee which Oversaw Transit
Gimenez was one of the government bureaucrats responsible for the failed Miami-Dade transit system, its scandals, wastes and the half penny tax sham. Gimenez was, for example, a top leader of the committee responsible for the transit system — the system that was going to be modernized by the 2002 half-cent sales tax. Remember? They promised new bus lines and 90-miles of new Metrorail extensions if only voters approved the half cent sales tax.
As of October 2010, the County had collected almost $1.4 billion in transit surtax, but most was spent on bloated salaries, excessive staff and maintenance of existing operations. The cities and the county have misspent these tax dollars. The County Commissioners did not stop it.
Exhibit A – Gimenez was the Vice-Chair of the Regional Transportation Committee
|Exhibit B – Gimenez was Chair of the Regional Transportation Committee
|The meeting agenda  for January 13, 2005, indicates that Gimenez was the committee chairman on that meeting where they talked/approved:
● The transit system in Miami-Dade like the rail corridors (item 1E1)
● Miami-Dade Transit (MDT) projects (items 1E3, 3A, 3B, 3C, 3D)
● Amendment to the People’s Transportation Plan (the 1/2 penny transit project) to include a surtax (item 1F1).
● The Miami Int’l Airport (item 2B)
● Acquisition of land for transit (item 3E, 3I)
Other meetings here.
1. CBS Miami, Audit Reveals Transit Tax Dollars Misspent, February 22, 2011
2. Herald special investigation, Taken For A Ride – How the Transit Tax went off Track, June 2008
3. Miami-Dade County website, Committee Plan and Member Assignments, by Commission Chairman Joe Martinez, January 3, 2011, Page 8
4. Miami-Dade County website, Meeting Agenda of the Regional Transportation Committee, January 13, 2005
5. Miami-Dade County website, Agendas for the Regional Transportation Committee
|MORE ON THE CANDIDATES:
Info for the June 28th election in Miami-Dade County:
– Carlos Gimenez’s Record
– Julio Robaina’s Record
(With links to primary sources)