FactReal

QUICK FACTS: Politics, News, Economy, Religion, History…for busy people!

Reuters, 9/12/2012: Al-Qaeda-tied Group behind Libya Consulate Attack

Posted by FactReal on October 25, 2012

The day after the Benghazi consulate attack, even liberal news outlets like Reuters were reporting that the attack was planned and may be terrorism. But the Obama administration preferred to blame the obscure YouTube video.

SUMMARY
On Sept. 12, 2012, Reuters reported that:
– Groups linked to al Qaeda may be responsible.
– The attack was planned (not spontaneous).
– The attack may be retaliation for the al Qaeda Libyan leader killed by a U.S. drone earlier this year.
– On 9/10/2012, the day before the attack, al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri urged Libyans to avenge the killing of his second in command.
– The assault took place in two waves.

(Click image to enlarge it)
REUTERS reported on September 12, 2012:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/13/us-usa-libya-attack-idUSBRE88B1C620120913
(Emphasis added)

Libya attack may have been planned and organized, U.S. officials say

By Mark Hosenball
WASHINGTON | Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:52pm EDT

(Reuters) – The attack that killed the U.S. ambassador and three other American diplomats in Benghazi, Libya, may have been planned and organized in advance, U.S. government officials said on Wednesday.

The officials said there were indications that members of a militant faction calling itself Ansar al Sharia – which translates as Supporters of Islamic Law – may have been involved in organizing the attack on the U.S. Consulate in Libya’s second-largest city.

They also said some reporting from the region suggested that members of Al-Qaeda’s north Africa-based affiliate, known as Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, may have been involved.

“It bears the hallmarks of an organized attack” and appeared to be preplanned, one U.S. official said.

The officials asked for anonymity when discussing sensitive information. More specific details about the possible role of militant groups or cells in the attack were not immediately available. […]

Ambassador Christopher Stevens, Foreign Service Officer Sean Smith and two other Americans who have not yet been identified were killed when gunmen stormed the consulate and another U.S. safe house in Benghazi on Tuesday.

A London think tank run by a former Libyan militant leader suggested on Tuesday that not only was the Benghazi attack “well planned,” but that it may have been retaliation for an American drone attack that killed a Libyan leader of al Qaeda’s core command group earlier this year.

The Quilliam Foundation said that 24 hours before the Benghazi incident, al Qaeda leader, Ayman al-Zawahiri, distributed a video to militant websites in which he confirmed the death of his second in command, known as Abu Yahya al-Libi, and urged Libyans to avenge his killing.

Quilliam, whose president, Noman Benotman, once was a leader of an anti-Gaddafi militant faction known as the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group, said that according to its sources, up to 20 militants had prepared for a military assault.

Quilliam said the assault on the Benghazi Consulate took place in two waves. After the first wave, U.S. officials arranged an evacuation of the Consulate by Libyan security forces. As the evacuation was taking place, a second wave of attacks was launched against U.S. officials who had already been moved to a supposedly secure location, Quilliam said.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s