Via C-Span: “Representative Nunes on Russian Election Interference: House Intelligence Committee Chair Devin Nunes (R-CA) briefed reporters on classified information that showed members of the intelligence community collected “incidental” communications of the Trump transition team during legal surveillance operations. Chair Nunes said none of the reports mentioned Russia or Russians. He also said it was possible the then president-elect’s communication was captured by the surveillance.”
Let’s see where this new information leads to.
Here is the video: (Scroll down for transcript)
Before taking questions, Nunes read this brief statement in front of reporters at a press conference Wednesday afternoon:
Good morning, everyone. As promised I’m going to continue to keep you apprised of new developments.
Some significant developments I think occurred over the course of the last few days with information that was brought to my attention and I’m going to just sort of read a very brief statement and that’s about all I can tell you but I want to keep you fully informed of what’s happening.
At our open hearing on Monday, I encouraged anyone who has information about relative topics including surveillance on President-elect Trump or his transition team to come forward and speak to the House Intelligence Committee.
I also said that while there was not a physical wiretap of Trump Tower, I was concerned that other surveillance activities were used against President Trump and his associates.
1. I recently confirmed that, on numerous occasions, the intelligence community incidentally collected information about U.S. citizens involved in the Trump transition.
2. Details about U.S. persons associated with the incoming administration, details with little or no apparent foreign intelligence value, were widely disseminated in intelligence community reporting.
3. I have confirmed that additional names of Trump transition team members were unmasked.
4. I want to be clear: None of this surveillance was related to Russia or the investigation of Russian activities or of the Trump team.
The House Intelligence Committee will thoroughly investigate surveillance and its subsequent dissemination to determine a few things here that I want to read off:
– Who was aware of it
– Why it was not disclosed to Congress
– Who requested and authorized the additional unmasking
– Whether anyone directed the intelligence community to docus on Trump associates
– Whether any laws, regulations or procedures were violated
I have asked the directors of FBI, NSA, and CIA to expeditiously comply with my March 15th letter, that you all received a couple weeks ago, and to provide a full account of these surveillance activities.
I informed speaker Ryan this morning of this new information and I will be going to the White House this afternoon to share what I know with the President and his team.
Before I get to questions I want to say that as you know, there’s just been what appears to be a terrorist attack in the United Kingdom. Obviously, [we are] very concerned and our thoughts and prayers go out to our strong friends and allies over across the pond.
 C-Span: Devin Nunes Confirms Incidental Surveillance of Trump Transition Team
– Hume: If Trump Investigated — then there was Surveillance (Video)
– NYT: Obama extended spying powers to National Security Agency (NSA) – report 1/12/2017
– LIST: Media Started the Wiretapping Claim – Not Trump
– Truth-Challenged Brian Williams Skeptical of Someone Else’s Claims